12-21-2011 - Christmas and New Years Holiday Travel Tips
Airport Offers Travel Tips for Holidays
This Christmas and New Years holiday season, thousands of travelers will pass through Reno-Tahoe International, with the peak travel days being Thursday, Dec. 22 and Friday, Dec. 23.
Please read the following travel tips to make your airport experience a pleasant one:
- Arrive 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure, or two hours before international flights.
- Do not wrap holiday packages before traveling. The TSA may have to open them for security purposes.
- For specific flight information, contact the airline. During periods of inclement weather, call the airline or log on to their website prior to departure to ensure that the flight is on time.
- Be an educated traveler and know the baggage fees: log on to your airline’s website to learn how much each bag may cost to check. All airlines at RTIA, except Southwest, charge between $20 and $25 for the first checked bag.
- At the Security Checkpoint, empty your pockets, remove your shoes and jewelry, and place them in the bins provided. Remember to retrieve all your items once through screening.
- Wear comfortable clothing, such as pants, and be prepared to remove coats, jackets and all outer wear; place them in the bin for screening.
- But be sure to know the TSA 3-1-1 rule for carry-on bags at www.tsa.gov. Liquids, gels and aerosols such as shampoo, lotion and perfume must be packed in a one quart plastic baggie; one baggie per customer. Remember that snow globes fall into this category of unacceptable items.
- To save time, download boarding passes at home. If checking luggage, remember to allow enough time at the airport to check your bags. Cut-off times vary by airline.
- The holidays are a time when many young children fly unaccompanied to their destination. If sending off a departing unaccompanied minor or a senior traveler, talk to airline ticket counter personnel if you wish to accompany the passenger to the gate. Proper identification will be required to drop off and pick up the child.
- Pack your patience and log on to www.renoairport.com for a list of airlines and their contact information.