Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) controls all aircraft movements in the air and on the taxiways and runways of the airport.
Reno Air Traffic Control Tower staff provided a presentation at the February 10, 2011 RTAA Board of Trustees public meeting regarding proposed airspace modifications to south and north flow flight tracks into and out of Reno-Tahoe International Airport. That presentation can be viewed here. A similar presentation given at the December 9, 2010 Airport Noise Advisory Panel meeting by Southwest Airlines staff which shows the proposed airspace routes can be viewed here. In addition, the FAA held two Public Meetings, July 21 and July 22, 2011, at the Hyatt Place Hotel in Reno, in which they shared information regarding the upcoming airspace modifications at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport. That presentation can be viewed here.
The FAA has several major responsibilities related to:
- Civil aviation regulation
- Civil aeronautics and new technology development
- Air traffic control and navigation operations
- The National Airspace System
- Control measures for aircraft noise and other environmental impacts
- U.S. commercial space transportation regulation
- Additional information on the FAA can be found here http://www.faa.gov/
In Reno, there are two local FAA offices: the Reno Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) and the Reno Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).
Reno Air Traffic Control Tower
Air Traffic Control (ATC) is provided by ground-based FAA controllers whose primary responsibilities include:
- Separation of aircraft (air and ground)
- Flow of Traffic (air and ground)
- Information and support for pilots (e.g. weather, navigational assistance, Notices to Airmen)
The Reno ATCT can answer questions or
- Flight tracks
- Traffic flow
- Individual aircraft operations in Reno airspace
These types of questions can also be answered by Airport Authority staff. Messages for Airport Authority staff can be left at the recorded Noise Complaint Hotline at (775) 328-6468 or via email at email@example.com.
Reno Flight Standards District Office
A FSDO is a regional FAA facility primarily focused on enforcing United States Federal Aviation Regulations.
The Reno FSDO can answer questions or concerns regarding:
- Accident reporting
- Air carrier certification and operations
- Aircraft maintenance
- Aircraft operational issues
- Aircraft permits
- Airmen certifications
- Enforcement of airmen and aircraft regulations