NEWS – Busy and Bustling with Burners
Here’s what you should know…
Ready to Welcome 20,000+ Visitors
The yearly Burning Man event is back, bringing visitors from all over the world to our region. Alongside the influx of travelers during Labor Day Weekend, RNO will greet thousands of additional passengers each day in the coming weeks. This makes the last week of August and the first week of September the busiest time of the year at the airport – even more bustling than the winter holidays.
The Burning Man event, located in the Black Rock Desert, takes place from Aug. 27 – Sept. 4, 2023, with peak departure days through RNO for event attendees from Sept. 3 – 5. Our airport teams are proud to welcome travelers to and from this special event, showcasing the friendly customer service that defines our airport. Even with a little extra construction and “playa” dust, our staff works extra hard to keep things clean, guide passengers, and leave a positive impression of our region.
Top Arrival and Departure Tips
RNO reached highest passenger numbers since 2008 during the first half of 2023. With a bustling end to the summer in sight, we recommend planning ahead. Arrive at least two hours before your flight – especially if you need to park at the airport, check luggage, return a rental car or require wheelchair assistance.
Top Departure Tips:
– Use the real-time parking availability feature and give yourself more time to park in overflow parking if main lots are full.
– During busy times, the security checkpoint process through TSA may take longer. Check TSA’s guidelines for a smooth security process.
– Ticket counters must open at least 90 minutes before departure but many open earlier. Check directly with your airline on hours of operation.
Top Arrival Tips:
– Rental car operations are experiencing longer wait times for reservation pick-ups, and lines at the counters may be affected due to Labor Day and Burning Man. Please check your reservation before arriving to RNO.
– Need a rideshare like Uber or Lyft? Pick-up is located just outside of baggage claim Door D near the hotel shuttles and taxis.
– Tell family and friends to use the Free Waiting Lot before picking up along the curb.
Receive regular updates from RNO by following @RenoAirport on social media: Facebook, Instagram, and X (formerly known as Twitter). And don’t forget to snap a photo with the “Fly With Us” Interactive Mural, located near the gaming machines and security entrance in the main terminal, and share using the hashtags #FlyRNO and #FlyWithUsRNO.
– Airfare calendars are updated through Spring 2024, which means you can book flights for fall and winter travel. If you already have travel plans in sight, consider reserving early and watching if prices drop. Many airlines offer credits if the price of airfare drops after you purchase.
– The depARTures Gallery on C Concourse is now featuring Burning Man ~ A Dream Made Real through Oct. 2023.
– Tickets on sale: National Championship Air Races and Air Show – Final Flag at Reno, Sept. 13-17 at the Reno-Stead Airport.
– Reserve your seat: The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority (RTAA) Community Roadshow will take place at the Tahoe Blue Events Center, 75 Hwy 50, on Wednesday, Sept. 27 from 3:30-5p.m. in partnership with the South Lake Tahoe Chamber of Commerce.
Nonstop Flight Updates:
– Fly nonstop from RNO to Chicago (MDW) in September and October for weekend service.
– Use our interactive flight map to find the best nonstop option for you. RNO has 20+ nonstop destinations and can fly you virtually anywhere in the world in just one stop.